Уведомления
Татьяна Котошка 
ДрузьяФотоВидеоИзбранноеПо месяцамСамые-самые
Матрица :: Фотолента

Семейная история . часть 2.

New Hampshire - Continued: Lieutenant Josiah Underhill and Ann Melvin had 11 children and 19 grandchildren. Their oldest son was Jesse Johnson Underhill (1784-1860). He married Elizabeth Graham (1791-1851). Jesse Johnson and Elizabeth Graham Underhill were 3 times great-grandparents of cousin Graham. Poor Elizabeth was having children for 2 decades. Elizabeth was the daughter of Deacon John Graham (1743-1819) and Sarah Hall (1779-1828). • There are 2 photos of Deacon J Graham's gravestone in Longmeadow Cemetery (Auburn) on the Part 1 email. The close-up is extremely hard to read but you can make out 'In memory of Deacon John Graham' in the upper center. It was hard to locate this stone because of its invisibility. Deacon John and Sarah Graham were 4 times great-grandparents of cousin Graham. • There is a photo labelled J J Underhill born 1784 and one labelled Elizabeth Underhill below. These 2 gravestones are on the right side of the Longmeadow Underhill Memorial photo. Jesse Johnson Underhill of 1784 was a maker of fine-edged tools, like his father. Jesse Johnson made the big decision in 1822 to create an Underhill office in Boston with his youngest brother, Jay Temple Underhill (1802-1839), and two of his sons, Samuel Graham Underhill (1809-1885) and George Washington Underhill (1815-1882) as employees. They traveled back and forth between Boston and Chester, NH. Boston became a national distributorship for their tools. Samuel Graham Underhill of 1809 married Mary Ann Dinsmore (1813-1895). Samuel Graham and Mary Ann Underhill are the great-great-grandparents of cousin Graham. There are 2 photos of the writing on the vertical face of the Longmeadow Underhill Memorial for S G Underhill born 1809. The stone is polished granite which is hard to read. Also the separate gravestones of his brother Jay T Underhill born 1802 and Jay's wife Sarah (Brown) Underhill (1808-1862). Also 2 photos of a separate Longmeadow obelisk of his brother, Hazen R Underhill (1821-1898) labelled Deacon J Underhill born 1821 (close-up) and Deacon H Underhill (distance). • Mary Ann Dinsmore's parents were Deacon Samuel Dinsmore (1788-1864) and Hannah Blanchard (1790-1871). The Dinsmores (also spelt "Dinsmoors") were Scotch-Irish who emigrated from County Antrim to New Hampshire in the 1740s. Samuel and Hannah Dinsmore are the 3 times great-grandparents of cousin Graham. There are 3 photos of the Dinsmores below; a close-up of Samuel Dinsmore born 1788 and his spouse Hannah Dinsmore born 1790; and a view from a distance of their 2 gravestones standing together. • Hannah Blanchard's grandparents were Col. Joseph Blanchard (1704-1758) and Rebecca Hubbard (1711-1774). Joseph and Rebecca Blanchard are the 5 times great-grandparents of cousin Graham. The colonel served in the New Hampshire militia and commanded the southernmost NH frontiers on the Connecticut and Merrimack Rivers. One of Col Joseph and Rebecca Blanchard's children was Jonathan Blanchard (1738-1788) who served in the NH House of Representatives and NH Senate and was a Brigadier General in the NH Militia. The Blanchard family came from Yorkshire and emigrated to New Hampshire in the 1640s. • Col. Joseph Blanchard's Mother was Abiah Hassell (1673-1746). The Hassells emigrated from Somerset to Boston in the 1630s. Abiah Hassell is the eldest ancestor amongst the photos. She is the 6 times great-grandmother of cousin Graham. • Abiah Hassell's and Rebecca Hubbard's gravestones are attached in Part 1; they are abundantly decorated in the mid-18th century style. They are buried in Nashua, which in their lifetimes was part of Massachusetts. It was called Dunstable. In 1741 Dunstable was split between a Dunstable, NH and a Dunstable, MA, north and south of the newly written State border. In 1836 Dunstable, NH re-named itself Nashua, NH after the Nashua River. Thus, Abiah Hassell and Col. Joseph and Rebecca (Hubbard) Blanchard are buried in "Old Dunstable Cemetery" in a mall-filled, high-traffic, commercial strip of Nashua, across from a Walgreen's Pharmacy on the south and a "Fitness Equipment" shop on the east. Rebecca's stone in the photo is dark due to the heavy shade from a big tree but there is huge-lettered writing where you can make out "Rebecca Blanchard". I could not photograph Joseph Blanchard's stone because it was entirely dark. Abiah's stone also has huge-lettered writing stating "Here lies the body of Abiah Blanchard". Brothers Samuel Graham and George Washington Underhill partnered in the fine edge tool business their father Jesse Johnson of 1784 had organized. They worked there until the end of their lives. The Underhill Edge Tool Co. was incorporated by George in 1852. It made axes, hammers, chisels, cleavers, and other types of severing tools. The company became a significant business with a factory in Nashua, NH and a wholesale outlet on Haverhill Street in Boston. The factory was about 400 feet long; close to the Merrimack River, the water of which was canalized to power the factory. There is an "Underhill Street" there now, the east terminus of which is approximately where the factory was. At its peak, the factory employed 100 people. The company was bought out in 1890 by American Axe and Tool Co. which bought out about one-half of all fine-edge tool manufacturers in the US. American Axe later closed down the Underhill factory to move production to East Douglas, MA. During his life, George W Underhill had become wealthy enough to buy up most of the Crown Hill neighborhood of Nashua (north of the factory) and he became a real estate developer. He also kept a house at 24 Moreland St, Somerville, MA. George Underhill had 4 boys who died in infancy. Of 3 surviving boys, one became a Medical Doctor, George A Underhill (1858-1912). He was a graduate of NYU School of Medicine. The Medical Doctor had a son, George W Underhill (1892-1968), who fought in World War I. George W worked as a store clerk for at least part of his life. There are 2 photos labelled Underhill obelisk and Underhill obelisk 2 which is where the George W Underhill family is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Nashua NH. There is a photo of the writing on the obelisk for G W Underhill born 1815 where his and his wife Mary (Gale) Underhill are named. On another side of the obelisk is a photo labelled Three infants died where 3 of the 4 sons the couple lost are named. Most of Samuel Graham Underhill of 1809's children were born in Chester NH but ended up in Somerville, MA. Amongst his 4 sons were Captain Jesse Johnson Underhill (1834-1905) and Dr. Caleb Brooks Underhill. Dr. Caleb Brooks Underhill (1855-1887), went to Harvard College and Harvard Medical School. Tragically he died of tuberculosis at age 32 in 1887. Caleb Brooks and George A Underhill, both medical doctors, were 1st cousins. There is a photo labelled Dr. Caleb Underhill born 1855 which, like his father Samuel Graham Underhill born 1809, is written on the face of the Longmeadow Underhill Memorial. Due to the granular granite it is nearly impossible to read, but it was there. Cemeteries: included below the first 2 photos show the entrance of Longmeadow Cemetery in Auburn, NH, where most of the Underhills described here are buried; and the east field where most of the Underhills are buried within the cemetery. The 3rd photo shows the south side of the central Underhill pillar in Longmeadow Cemetery where are the graves of Samuel Graham Underhill of 1809, his wife Mary Ann Dinsmore, his son, Caleb Brooks Underhill, who died 2 years after his father; his father, Jesse Johnson Underhill of 1784; and his mother, Elizabeth (Graham) Underhill. Longmeadow is about 3 miles west of Chester Village Cemetery where Sampson Underhill first re-located from Long Island. Also below is a photo of the Woodlawn Cemetery entrance where is buried George Washington Underhill's family. I could not get an overview photo of Old Dunstable Cemetery because it was too hemmed in by busy highways. To Somerville: Captain Jesse Johnson Underhill (1834-1905) mentioned above is the oldest ancestor we have buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Medford, MA. Jesse Johnson Underhill joined the 40th Mass regiment as a commissary sergeant in September 1862. He was promoted via merit to Captain on 24 November 1864 in the course of the Civil War. He was discharged honorably in June 1865. He fought in various Eastern Theater battles including but not limited to Fort Wagner, Drewry's Bluff, Cold Harbor, and the Siege of Petersburg. Fort Wagner was the first battle in which Black American soldiers fought. After the war he stayed about 3 years in Richmond, VA. Captain Jesse Johnson Underhill in 1866 married a Virginian named Sarah Jane Clements (1849-1891). They are great-grandparents of cousin Graham. Captain Jesse Johnson and Sarah Jane had 2 boys and 3 girls. • The younger boy was Samuel Graham Underhill (1875-1953) who, like his uncle Caleb Brooks Underhill, graduated from Harvard College and Harvard Medical School. He became a Major in the Medical Officers Corps, serving in England and France 1918-1919. He lived in France many years; traveled around the world; and then moved out to California; he is buried in Santa Barbara. He was a great-uncle of cousin Graham. • The older boy was Charles Lee Underhill (1868-1946) who became a Member of the US House of Representatives. He started out his life as a blacksmith and later hardware store retailer and wholesaler. Charles Lee Underhill married Edith Ewing Lamprey (1889-1931). They are grandparents of cousin Graham. • Edith Lamprey's parents were John B Lamprey (1834-1884) and Eleanor Ewing (1850-1914). John and Eleanor Lamprey are great-grandparents of cousin Graham. John B Lamprey and his brother Charles Lamprey (1833-1863) both fought in the Civil War. Charles was mortally wounded in the Battle of Fredericksburg and died a few weeks later in Union Hotel Hospital in Georgetown, D.C. He is buried in a run-down desolate cemetery lying in a remote area on the town line between Epsom NH and Deerfield NH. John B Lamprey is buried in Lakeport, NH, overlooking Paugus Bay, which feeds Lake Winnipesaukee. The Lampreys originally came to New England from Devonshire in 1630. The Ewings were Scotch-Irish originally from County Donegal, emigrating to North America in the early 1700s. It is relatively amazing to stand looking down at 350 year old gravestones in a town you've never seen and take in that these crypts hold your 8 times great-grandparents.
Загружаю...
 
Все комментарииHTML и BB кодыСкачать в .zip (работает!)
Amesbury, МА, США
Прогулка 19 апреля.
Поход в октябре с детским клубом
новости размещение рекламы / контакты благодарности связь с администрацией ответы на вопросы смс рассылка
Gallery.ru © 2006-2020. Размещено в Филанко